Volunteer and Influencing Support Officer
This role works across a small regional team supporting the volunteering and Influencing functions. The post holder will be the main point of contact and support for our local group network, whilst also working alongside our campaigning volunteers and NHS organisations to ensure the best possible support and care for people living with diabetes locally.
- To be the main point of contact and provide support to local groups and volunteers ensuring they operate within Diabetes UK policy and that the groups run legally and safely
- Monitor, track and report to the Senior Volunteer Development Lead on the activity and welfare of the groups
- Ensure a consistent communication pathway and engagement between Diabetes UK and local groups and other volunteers.
- Help organise local events and activities working with NHS contacts and volunteers as appropriate
- Work with the Regional Head and Improving Care Manager in influencing Clinical Commissioning Groups in the region to ensure the best possible care for people with diabetes.
- Support Diabetes Voices in local campaigning and influencing activities
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of process and compliance management
- Experience of managing databases
- Experience of working with volunteers or volunteer led groups
- Experience of influencing or campaigning or able to demonstrate transferable skills
- Experience of working with a wide variety of people e.g. from different backgrounds, cultures, levels and ages
- Great communication skills
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to 1,600 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working
- Discounts on gym membership and days out
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual Season ticket loan
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and permanent health insurance
About the Company
Diabetes is the most potentially devastating and fastest growing health crisis of our time, requiring ongoing high-quality care and support. There are currently 4.5 million people in the UK living with diabetes, and 11.9 million more at increased risk of getting Type 2 diabetes. Those diagnosed face the risk of life-changing, and life-limiting, complications, unless they are given the very best care and the support they need to manage their condition well. As a society we need to work together now and take action now to fund critical research, improve healthcare and treatment, and prevent yet more people developing this potentially life-threatening condition.
Diabetes UK is a forward thinking and commercially focused organisation, and is the leading charity for the 4.5 million people with the condition in the UK.
As we continue to improve our processes, through continual development and change, this is an exciting time to join us. With established funding streams and following on from the success of our previous five-year plan, we are in a strong position to continue developing and responding to changing environments.
We rely heavily upon the expertise and motivation of our staff in order to work towards our many aims and meet objectives. We aim to be an equal opportunity employer; the organisation recognises and respects the value and diversity of all. We gladly make the adjustments required for people with disabilities to join us. Our diverse functions mean that we can offer you a wide range of rewarding career opportunities.
Under the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006, as amended in particular by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 this post is subject to pre-employment criminal records checks through the Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS), Disclosure Scotland, Access NI.
Diabetes UK recognises and respects the value and diversity of all.
We have a vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm if youd like to be part of that, why not join us?
To Learn more about the work we do - Click here