Steve Morgan Foundation (SMF) Research Funding Manager
There’s never been a more exciting time to join Diabetes UK where you can be a crucial part of helping us create a world where Diabetes can do no harm!
We have secured an incredible and unprecedented £50 million investment from the Steve Morgan Foundation which will fund research at Diabetes UK for 5 years and pave the way to the development of new treatments and a cure for type 1 diabetes.
In our mission to transform the lives of people with Type 1 diabetes and to lead the race towards a cure, we have formed an exciting partnership with the Steve Morgan Foundation and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Ltd (JDRF).
The SMF Type 1 Diabetes Grand Challenge is a very different and exciting way of funding research. It will support collaborative research of greater scale, accelerating progress towards a cure for type 1 diabetes.
We are looking for a confident and experienced Research Manager to manage the SMF Type 1 Diabetes Grand Challenge research portfolio. To join our fantastic team please take a look at the information below and apply today!
Interviews: 21 July 2022 in London Head Office (Wells Lawrence House)
As the Research Funding Manager, you’ll be responsible for managing and developing the SMF Type 1 Diabetes Grand Challenge funding programme, ensuring that the best funding processes are implemented so that high quality research is funded. You’ll work closely with other roles within the Research Directorate, including the Research Funding Officer, the SMF Beta Cell Programme Lead and the Research Impact and Evaluation Lead, as well as collaborating closely with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)
The Ideal Candidate
You’ll be enthusiastic about research and its potential to improve the lives of people affected by type 1 diabetes. You will bring substantive experience of research management within the medical health charity sector. You will have a great eye for detail and knowledge of best practice in peer review and patient involvement, as well as a thorough understanding of the UK health research funding environment. The ability to work independently and exercise initiative is essential, as is building strong working relationships with researchers, people with lived experience, and other stakeholders.
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays, increasing to 30 days in your first 5 years here. Pro rata’d for those on part time hours or fixed term contracts.
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and income protection insurance
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,600 towards a range of out-of-pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and agile working
- Discounts on gym membership
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Access to Remote GP, physiotherapy, mental health support, and much more
- Annual Season ticket loan (after successful completion of your probation period and for contracts that are permanent or over 12 months if fixed term)
- Home office season ticket (to help you spread the cost of any equipment or furniture you wish to purchase)
- Excellent Family-friendly and Carers policies, e.g. generous maternity, paternity, and neo-natal policies – considerably higher than statutory leave and pay
- Cycle to work scheme (after successful completion of your probation period and for contracts that are permanent or over 12 months if fixed term)
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities which we are delighted have continued remotely during the pandemic
- We have a variety of well-being sessions throughout the year
About the Company
For nearly 5 million people with diabetes in the UK, there’s no day off. At Diabetes UK, we fight day in, day out for better care, treatment and support. We won’t stop until diabetes can do no harm.
With more people than ever living with diabetes and millions more at risk of developing type 2, our work has never been more needed. We make sure they get the care and support needed to live well with diabetes and avoid devastating complications.
We fund critical research, which has led to life-changing discoveries – like the first insulin pen and programmes to put type 2 diabetes into remission. Now, we want to do this for everyone and find a cure.
We can’t do any of this without you. Our staff are passionate and determined about helping everyone affected by diabetes. For over 85 years, they’ve been behind vital policy changes, as well as new treatments and technologies to make living with diabetes easier every day.
But there’s more to do. And you can be part of it.
We’re a really diverse bunch and we recognise and respect your value as an individual. As well as helping people with diabetes, you’ll be part of one of the top 30 Best UK Charities to Work For, and one of the top 75 Best Large Companies in London.
We’re committed to protecting and promoting the welfare of children and adults at risk, and we need our staff and volunteers to support this.
Our vision is a world where diabetes can do no harm. Join us today, and together, we can make that a reality.
To find out more about what we do, check out our website.