Senior Public Affairs Officer
Diabetes UK is looking to recruit a full time Senior Public Affairs Officer to join our Policy, Campaigns & Mobilisation team. You will play a vital role in bringing about change to improve the lives of people with diabetes and those at risk of developing type 2.
Your role will be central to helping plan and develop our parliamentary engagement work and influencing key stakeholders. This role helps Diabetes UK to bring about change in a range of priority areas such as obesity prevention, access to treatments and technologies, ensuring diabetes remains at the top of the political agenda.
Interview Date: 5 February 2020
You will be involved in promoting the work of Diabetes UK and issues affecting people living with diabetes in Parliament, coming up with new ideas to help develop parliamentary leaders who pro-actively support Diabetes UK’s campaign objectives; and engaging MPs on local and national policies to deliver change.
The Ideal Candidate
- Passionate about bringing about change that will have a positive impact in helping us create a world where diabetes can do no harm
- Highly politically astute with excellent knowledge of UK Parliament and politics, and the ability to demonstrate how knowledge base is kept up-to-date
- Creative and able to come up with new and interesting ideas to engage decision makers
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,500 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working as part of our approach to activity based working
- Discounts on gym membership
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual season ticket loan (on completion of your probation period)
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and income protection insurance
- Cycle to work scheme (eligible for scheme if contract is permanent or longer than 12 months)
*Some benefits aren't available until you've passed your probation period and are dependent on the length of contract.
About the Company
Diabetes is the most devastating and fastest growing health crisis of our time. There are currently 3.8 million people in the UK diagnosed with diabetes, and 1 million more with undiagnosed Type 2.
We are working to make sure that those affected by diabetes get the best care and support they need to live well with their condition and avoid life-changing complications. We're leading the way by funding critical research, improving healthcare and treatment so we can reach our vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm.
Diabetes UK staff are motivated and experienced and extremely passionate about helping people affected by diabetes. We have been fighting for people with diabetes for more than 80 years and changed millions of lives thanks to the new treatments, technology and policy changes we've been behind.
But there's more to do. And you can be part of it.
We're a diverse bunch and as a charity we recognise and respect the value of everyone.
We've recently been awarded a One Star Accreditation status by Best Companies. And this year we were named 65th in the top 100 not-for-profit organisations in the Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For list.
We're committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and expect all staff and volunteers to actively support this commitment.
We have a vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm. If you’d like to be part of that, why not join us?
To learn more about the work we do - Click here