Senior Media Officer
Diabetes UK’s award-winning media team plays a vital role in helping make life better for people living with diabetes, or those at risk of developing the condition. We secure high-profile coverage in news and consumer media that talks frankly about the diabetes crisis, the seriousness of diabetes, about managing diabetes and campaigning for improvements in diabetes care.
Interview Date: 24 July 2019
We are looking for a talented, experienced Senior Media Officer who has a track record for creating high impact press coverage across a range of issues. Responsible primarily for supporting our policy, public affairs and prevention portfolio of activities, you’ll have a good knowledge of UK, national and regional media, good relationships with journalists across the board, and a sound understanding of how tell a great story.
The Ideal Candidate
If you can write well – and under pressure – and have the creativity, enthusiasm and news sense needed to get our work the high profile it deserves – please apply. Experience of working on health conditions, and of delivering policy and public affairs-centred PR campaigns would be an advantage.
What we are looking for:
- Strong, proven experience of working in a communications / media / public relations setting
- Demonstrable experience of developing, delivering and evaluating PR campaigns
- Excellent written skills, and the ability to produce sharp copy, to tight deadlines, for a range of channels
- An excellent knowledge of the UK media landscape
- The ability to work under pressure to a high standard
- Degree or equivalent experience
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,600 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working
- Discounts on gym membership and days out
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual season ticket loan
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and income protection insurance
- Cycle to work scheme (eligible for scheme if contract is permanent or longer than 12 months)
*Some benefits aren't available until you've passed your probation period and are dependent on the length of contract.
About the Company
Diabetes is the most devastating and fastest growing health crisis of our time. There are currently 3.8 million people in the UK diagnosed with diabetes, and 1 million more with undiagnosed Type 2.
We are working to make sure that those affected by diabetes get the best care and support they need to live well with their condition and avoid life-changing complications. We're leading the way by funding critical research, improving healthcare and treatment so we can reach our vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm.
Diabetes UK staff are motivated and experienced and extremely passionate about helping people affected by diabetes. We have been fighting for people with diabetes for more than 80 years and changed millions of lives thanks to the new treatments, technology and policy changes we've been behind.
But there's more to do. And you can be part of it.
We're a diverse bunch and as a charity we recognise and respect the value of everyone.
We've recently been awarded a One Star Accreditation status by Best Companies. And this year we were named 65th in the top 100 not-for-profit organisations in the Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For list.
We're committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and expect all staff and volunteers to actively support this commitment.
We have a vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm. If you’d like to be part of that, why not join us?
To learn more about the work we do - click here