The Publications Officer role is pivotal in supporting the development and delivery of Diabetes UK’s portfolio of printed health guides, leaflets and flagship subscription magazines to better promote the seriousness of diabetes, help more people manage their condition and encourage a wider range of supporters to get involved or contribute to the cause.
We’re looking for an innovative and collaborative editor and talented writer, with hands-on publishing experience who is as at home working with freelancers and designers as they are printers and supply chain teams.
You will need to be confident in meeting tight deadlines, supporting on large projects and being part of a busy team. Ideally you’ll have a flair for editorial, ideally with some digital experience too and knowledge of the latest creative, digital and print trends.
- Supporting the Publications Manager with commissioning and producing engaging content, devising schedules, and managing working practices to ensure all products are delivered on time and on budget.
- Overseeing a database of copywriters, designers, photographers and printers ensuring suppliers have gone through relevant checks and agreed contractual obligations.
- Repurposing content online where appropriate working with the Content Producer and membership teams.
- Taking editorial responsibility for the annual My Life magazine and owning the My Life digital platform, ensuring that the content is relevant and up to date.
- Supporting the Publications Manager deliver the editorial output of the organisation, ensuring high standards and working collaboratively with teams to ensure content reflects charity’s organisational objectives
- Providing professional expertise and guidance across the organisation and raising the skillset and experience of colleagues in understanding best practice editorial output.
- Overseeing leaflet reprints ensuring they are delivered on time, on budget and to agreed standards
- Ensuring all outputs adhere to our brand guidelines.
- Supporting the Publications Manager in overseeing print schedules, stock levels and reprints, working closely with the printers and warehouse.
The Ideal Candidate
The best person for this job will be able to:
- Work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Commit to producing quality work with an eye for detail
- Use Adobe Creative Cloud, with ability to edit on screen.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- NCTJ qualification would be desirable.
The best person for the job will have expeirence in:
- Project management, including time planning, time management, and resource planning
- Producing content for the web and using content management systems, Drupal would be desirable
- Advanced editorial and writing experience
- Organisational and communication skills
The best person for this job will be:
- Exceptionally organised with excellent time management
- An excellent and highly effective communicator
- Process-driven and able to work under pressure
- Proactive and able to prioritise own work
- A great writer, editor and proofreader, with a high level of attention to detail
- Enthusiastic and willing to learn new skills
- A team player, with the ability to work with colleagues across the organisation
- Innovative and creative
- Confident using the Microsoft office suite and other organisational tools
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,600 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working
- Discounts on gym membership and days out
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual Season ticket loan
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and permanent health insurance
About the Company
Diabetes is the most potentially devastating – and fastest growing – health crisis of our time, requiring ongoing high-quality care and support. There are currently 4.5 million people in the UK living with diabetes, and 11.9 million more at increased risk of getting Type 2 diabetes. Those diagnosed face the risk of life-changing, and life-limiting, complications, unless they are given the very best care and the support they need to manage their condition well. As a society we need to work together now – and take action now – to fund critical research, improve healthcare and treatment, and prevent yet more people developing this potentially life-threatening condition.
Diabetes UK is a forward thinking and commercially focused organisation, and is the leading charity for the 4.5 million people with the condition in the UK.
As we continue to improve our processes, through continual development and change, this is an exciting time to join us. With established funding streams and following on from the success of our previous five-year plan, we are in a strong position to continue developing and responding to changing environments.
We rely heavily upon the expertise and motivation of our staff in order to work towards our many aims and meet objectives. We aim to be an equal opportunity employer; the organisation recognises and respects the value and diversity of all. We gladly make the adjustments required for people with disabilities to join us. Our diverse functions mean that we can offer you a wide range of rewarding career opportunities.
Diabetes UK is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable and expects all staff and volunteers to actively support this commitment.
Diabetes UK recognises and respects the value and diversity of all.
We have a vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm – if you’d like to be part of that, why not join us?
To Learn more about the work we do - Click here