Marketing and Communications Manager (Type 1)
The Marketing and Communications Manager (Type 1) is responsible for developing and delivering targeted marketing and communications plans to reach those living with and affected by Type 1 diabetes, and to raise awareness of the support, products and services that Diabetes UK can offer.
This will include developing strong and engaging content and working alongside Marketing & Communications Planning colleagues to research and identify the best routes to market, achieving maximum impact by using insight to develop and implement activity to reach more people and increase uptake of our Type 1 offer, within our priority audiences of families, teenagers and young people
Sitting within the Strategic Marketing team, but with close links to the Type 1 specialist team, the role will focus on Type 1 campaigns, but will work closely with colleagues across the department to optimise the potential of campaigns to reach broader audiences and help support Diabetes UK’s wider vision to create a world where diabetes can do no harm.
This is a 12 month fixed term contract.
- Deliver agreed marketing and communications plans to time and budget, working closely with Marketing and Communications Planning colleagues.
- Identify and progress appropriate marketing and communications opportunities to increase the reach and impact of Type 1 work (spanning a range of services, campaigns, information, fundraising, research) amongst agreed priority audiences, that is informed by their needs, and meets Type 1 programme requirements.
- Manage the Type 1 marketing and communications budget, with the support of the Type 1 Lead. Carrying out required financial tasks related to relevant marketing and communications work, from raising purchase orders to monitoring the monthly management accounts.
- Develop and monitor key performance indicators and targets and evaluation metrics in collaboration with other teams, to demonstrate the success of Type 1 marketing and communications work, working with internal colleagues and external agencies.
- Manage Type 1 content across Diabetes UK channels, ensuring it is coherent, navigable and responsive to the needs of people with Type 1, offering clear and integrated product offerings for each priority audience.
- Create new Type 1 content, where necessary, across a range of channels, ensuring it is co-produced with people with Type 1 diabetes and their families and healthcare professionals if required, and ensure any user-generated content is captured and embedded wherever possible and appropriate.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest marketing and communications trends, content and publishing developments, and software updates.
- In partnership with Market Research colleagues, ensure regular Type 1 audience insights inform relevant work streams and findings and learnings are shared and implemented across the charity.
- Carry out tasks and provide support to other Type 1 projects as requested by the Head of Marketing & Communications Planning and Type 1 Lead as and when required.
- Work with the wider marketing team to explore opportunities to extend Type 1 campaigns to reach wider audiences where relevant, particularly those living with or at risk from Type 2 diabetes.
The Ideal Candidate
The best person for this job will be able to:
- Understand the role of audience insight and use this to inform strategy and actions
- Review, establish and develop channel plans to meet customer needs and achieve organisational goals
- Have strong knowledge of marketing metrics for measuring impact and evaluating effectiveness and return on investment
- The ability to communicate effectively and to influence a wide range of people, face-to-face, through presentations and written reports
- Have strong multi-channel copywriting and editing skills
- Strong creative ability
- Good commercial awareness
- Excellent planning, organisation and project management skills
- Ability to work on own initiative, under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Sensitive approach to dealing with personal information about people’s health and lifestyle
- Ability to identify and overcome problems using own initiative
- Adept at using Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc
The best person for this job will have experience in:
- Strong experience of working across communications functions, including marketing (both digital and offline) plus at least one or more of the following communications areas: digital, media, editorial, creative, content development
- Strong experience of developing engaging and impactful audience-focused content
- Experience of successful audience segmentation
- Strong project management experience, including budget planning and management, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience of working on cross-organisation projects and delivering successful outcomes
- Demonstrable experience of successfully interacting and engaging customers and members of the public to increase reach and impact
- Experience of media buying
- Experience of managing agencies and freelancers
The best person for this job will be:
- Driven to succeed – a completer-finisher.
- Able to hit the ground running, learning to navigate a complex organisation and its policies and procedures
- A people person, good at building relationships
- An experienced project manager
- Passionate about making a difference to the lives of families living with Type 1, so that they have the information and support they need, and helping to improve their long-term health outcomes.
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,600 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working
- Discounts on gym membership and days out
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual Season ticket loan
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and permanent health insurance
About the Company
Diabetes is the most potentially devastating – and fastest growing – health crisis of our time, requiring ongoing high-quality care and support. There are currently 4.5 million people in the UK living with diabetes, and 11.9 million more at increased risk of getting Type 2 diabetes. Those diagnosed face the risk of life-changing, and life-limiting, complications, unless they are given the very best care and the support they need to manage their condition well. As a society we need to work together now – and take action now – to fund critical research, improve healthcare and treatment, and prevent yet more people developing this potentially life-threatening condition.
Diabetes UK is a forward thinking and commercially focused organisation, and is the leading charity for the 4.5 million people with the condition in the UK.
As we continue to improve our processes, through continual development and change, this is an exciting time to join us. With established funding streams and following on from the success of our previous five-year plan, we are in a strong position to continue developing and responding to changing environments.
We rely heavily upon the expertise and motivation of our staff in order to work towards our many aims and meet objectives. We aim to be an equal opportunity employer; the organisation recognises and respects the value and diversity of all. We gladly make the adjustments required for people with disabilities to join us. Our diverse functions mean that we can offer you a wide range of rewarding career opportunities.
Diabetes UK is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable and expects all staff and volunteers to actively support this commitment.
Diabetes UK recognises and respects the value and diversity of all.
We have a vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm – if you’d like to be part of that, why not join us?
To Learn more about the work we do - Click here