As Legal Advisor at Diabetes UK, you will be responsible for giving clear, practical legal advice to all parts of the charity and negotiating contracts with our suppliers and funders. Reporting to the Head of Legal & Compliance, you will have the opportunity to develop expertise in a wide range of areas of law, including contract, data protection, charity, gaming, fundraising, advertising and intellectual property. You will also be responsible for maintenance of the contracts register and promoting good contract management practice.
Interview Date: TBC
- Provide high quality professional legal advice, guidance and representation in relation to implementing, delivering and evaluating Diabetes UK’s activities in line with its strategy and its charitable objectives
- Draft, review and negotiate appropriate contracts mainly being commercial contracts with external suppliers
- Assisting with the protection of Diabetes UK’s intellectual property rights
- Work closely with relevant Diabetes UK colleagues and external organisations to advise on and secure legal compliance and the effective management of legal risk
- Provide updates on cases, legislation and regulation relevant to the activities of Diabetes UK
The Ideal Candidate
You will be a qualified solicitor with 1-3 years PQE or equivalent legal experience. You will have experience of independently drafting and negotiating commercial supplier contracts and an understanding of data protection law. We are looking for an individual who has a pragmatic, problem-solving mindset, excellent verbal and written communication skills and good attention to detail, who can apply their legal skills to new areas of law.
This is an excellent first in-house role for a junior lawyer looking to broaden their expertise or gain experience in the not-for-profit sector.
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,600 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working
- Discounts on gym membership and days out
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual season ticket loan
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and income protection insurance
- Cycle to work scheme (eligible for scheme if contract is permanent or longer than 12 months)
*Some benefits aren't available until you've passed your probation period and are dependent on the length of contract.
About the Company
Diabetes is the most devastating and fastest growing health crisis of our time. There are currently 3.8 million people in the UK diagnosed with diabetes, and 1 million more with undiagnosed Type 2.
We are working to make sure that those affected by diabetes get the best care and support they need to live well with their condition and avoid life-changing complications. We're leading the way by funding critical research, improving healthcare and treatment so we can reach our vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm.
Diabetes UK staff are motivated and experienced and extremely passionate about helping people affected by diabetes. We have been fighting for people with diabetes for more than 80 years and changed millions of lives thanks to the new treatments, technology and policy changes we've been behind.
But there's more to do. And you can be part of it.
We're a diverse bunch and as a charity we recognise and respect the value of everyone.
We've recently been awarded a One Star Accreditation status by Best Companies. And this year we were named 65th in the top 100 not-for-profit organisations in the Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For list.
We're committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and expect all staff and volunteers to actively support this commitment.
We have a vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm. If you’d like to be part of that, why not join us?
To learn more about the work we do - Click here