As Legal Advisor at Diabetes UK, you will be responsible for giving clear, practical legal advice to all parts of the charity and negotiating contracts with our suppliers and funders. Reporting to the Head of Legal & Compliance, you will have the opportunity to develop expertise in a wide range of areas of law, including contract, data protection, charity, gaming, fundraising, advertising and intellectual property. You will also be responsible for maintenance of the contracts register and promoting good contract management practice.
1st Stage: W/C 7 February 2022
2nd Stage: W/C 14 or 21 February 2022
You will be a qualified solicitor with 1-3 years PQE or equivalent legal experience. You will have experience of independently drafting and negotiating commercial supplier contracts and an understanding of data protection law. We are looking for an individual who has a pragmatic, problem-solving mindset, excellent verbal and written communication skills and good attention to detail, who can apply their legal skills to new areas of law.
This is an excellent first in-house role for a junior lawyer looking to broaden their expertise or gain experience in the not-for-profit sector.
The Ideal Candidate
You will be:
- Able to work on your own initiative and seek support as required
- A strong and confident communicator verbally and in writing
- Highly organised and with a structured approach to work
- A strong problem-solver with a flexible and pragmatic approach
- Keen to learn more
Please note that all job offers are subject to you providing acceptable evidence of your eligibility to work in the UK. You might find the following resources useful:
- To view a full list of accepted documents and the checks employers are required to make click here
- To view guidance on proving your right to work to an employer click here
If you have any questions, please contact HRAdvice@diabetes.org.uk
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,500 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working as part of our approach to activity based working
- Discounts on gym membership
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual season ticket loan* (on completion of your probation period and if contract is permanent or longer than 12 months)
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and income protection insurance
- Cycle to work scheme* (eligible for scheme if contract is permanent or longer than 12 months)
*Some benefits aren't available until you've passed your probation period and are dependent on the length of contract.
About the Company
For nearly 5 million people with diabetes in the UK, there’s no day off. At Diabetes UK, we fight day in, day out for better care, treatment and support. We won’t stop until diabetes can do no harm.
With more people than ever living with diabetes and millions more at risk of developing type 2, our work has never been more needed. We make sure they get the care and support needed to live well with diabetes and avoid devastating complications.
We fund critical research, which has led to life-changing discoveries – like the first insulin pen and programmes to put type 2 diabetes into remission. Now, we want to do this for everyone and find a cure.
We can’t do any of this without you. Our staff are passionate and determined about helping everyone affected by diabetes. For over 85 years, they’ve been behind vital policy changes, as well as new treatments and technologies to make living with diabetes easier every day.
But there’s more to do. And you can be part of it.
We’re a really diverse bunch and we recognise and respect your value as an individual. As well as helping people with diabetes, you’ll be part of one of the top 30 Best UK Charities to Work For, and one of the top 75 Best Large Companies in London.
We’re committed to protecting and promoting the welfare of children and adults at risk, and we need our staff and volunteers to support this.
Our vision is a world where diabetes can do no harm. Join us today, and together, we can make that a reality.
To find out more about what we do, check out our website.