Internal Communications and Engagement Officer (Fixed Term)
We’re looking for someone to join our internal communications team for six-months as part of maternity cover arrangements.
Working closely with the senior internal communications and engagement officer, you’ll play an important role in informing, involving and engaging our people with our work. You’ll provide expert internal communications advice and guidance to colleagues and play a key role in keeping our intranet up to date and supporting others to use it effectively.
You’ll be writing intranet articles and producing other communications assets such as videos. You’ll also get involved in supporting internal engagement activities and events.
This is a busy and varied role. You’ll need to be comfortable dealing with scheduled, weekly and monthly tasks and also responding to the unexpected.
Interview Date: 6 & 7 April 2020
- Working with the senior internal communications and engagement manager to produce an annual and monthly communications plan
- Keeping our intranet up to date, embedding our governance protocols and supporting page owners across the charity
- Producing our bi-weekly e-newsletter
- Developing communications across a range of channels both in writing and using technology solutions such as videos
- Supporting internal engagement activities
- Providing advice and guidance to colleagues about how to communicate effectively and in line with our brand and tone of voice
The Ideal Candidate
You’ll be a confident and thoughtful communicator with experience of working in internal communications. You’ll write and edit clear and concise copy, keeping the needs of your audience in mind.
You’ll have a strong sense of collaboration. We’re a small team and so we have to work together quickly and easily to get things done. Equally, you’ll be able to work independently and be self-motivated to make progress on agreed tasks.
You will have experience of working with sharepoint based intranets. You’ll be able to upload articles and support others to maintain their own intranet pages. You will be comfortable creating digital communication assets such as videos.
Finally, you’ll have high attention to detail and a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,500 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working as part of our approach to activity based working
- Discounts on gym membership
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual season ticket loan (on completion of your probation period)
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and income protection insurance
- Cycle to work scheme (eligible for scheme if contract is permanent or longer than 12 months)
*Some benefits aren't available until you've passed your probation period and are dependent on the length of contract.
About the Company
Diabetes is the most devastating and fastest growing health crisis of our time. There are currently 3.8 million people in the UK diagnosed with diabetes, and 1 million more with undiagnosed Type 2.
We are working to make sure that those affected by diabetes get the best care and support they need to live well with their condition and avoid life-changing complications. We're leading the way by funding critical research, improving healthcare and treatment so we can reach our vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm.
Diabetes UK staff are motivated and experienced and extremely passionate about helping people affected by diabetes. We have been fighting for people with diabetes for more than 80 years and changed millions of lives thanks to the new treatments, technology and policy changes we've been behind.
But there's more to do. And you can be part of it.
We're a diverse bunch and as a charity we recognise and respect the value of everyone.
We've recently been awarded a One Star Accreditation status by Best Companies. And this year we were named 65th in the top 100 not-for-profit organisations in the Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For list.
We're committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and expect all staff and volunteers to actively support this commitment.
We have a vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm. If you’d like to be part of that, why not join us?
To learn more about the work we do - Click here