Assistant Director - Research
This is an exciting opportunity to join the leading diabetes charity in the UK and work with the Director of Research to support the research activity of the charity.
You will oversee our extensive and diverse research portfolio, ensure the timely and proactive communication of research impact and lead the forward thinking of the Clinical Studies Groups who are setting the future priorities in diabetes research based upon the needs of people at risk of and living with diabetes.
This is a 8 month fixed term contract.
Interview Date: 3 June 2019
- Oversight of research governance and strategy
- Development of funding partnership opportunities
- Act as a senior ambassador for the charity externally at conferences, external meetings, working groups and individual networking relationships.
- Oversight of Directorate plans and budgets
- Team line management
- Clinical Studies Groups co-ordination and delivery oversight
- Cross-organisational working via Assistant Directors and Heads
- Intellectual Property translation
The Ideal Candidate
- Educated to degree and preferably PhD level in science discipline
- A leader in cross-organisational working
- Open to new and collaborative ways of working and partnerships
- Keen to innovate and develop the charity’s research activities
- Skilled in managing multiple large scale, high risk projects
- Influential networking and communicator
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,600 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working
- Discounts on gym membership and days out
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual season ticket loan
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and income protection insurance
- Cycle to work scheme (eligible for scheme if contract is permanent or longer than 12 months)
*Some benefits aren't available until you've passed your probation period and are dependent on the length of contract.
About the Company
Diabetes is the most devastating and fastest growing health crisis of our time. There are currently 3.8 million people in the UK diagnosed with diabetes, and 1 million more with undiagnosed Type 2.
We are working to make sure that those affected by diabetes get the best care and support they need to live well with their condition and avoid life-changing complications. We're leading the way by funding critical research, improving healthcare and treatment so we can reach our vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm.
Diabetes UK staff are motivated and experienced and extremely passionate about helping people affected by diabetes. We have been fighting for people with diabetes for more than 80 years and changed millions of lives thanks to the new treatments, technology and policy changes we've been behind.
But there's more to do. And you can be part of it.
We're a diverse bunch and as a charity we recognise and respect the value of everyone.
We've recently been awarded a One Star Accreditation status by Best Companies. And this year we were named 65th in the top 100 not-for-profit organisations in the Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For list.
We're committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and expect all staff and volunteers to actively support this commitment.
We have a vision of a world where diabetes can do no harm. If you’d like to be part of that, why not join us?
To learn more about the work we do - click here